Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is that still cool slang?

I was watching American Idol the other night, and it struck me that Randy's slang terms
seem to be the same ones he's been using for years. Are they not uncool yet?
Yo, Yo, that's back to being a round toy with a string by now isn't it?
Check it out That's back to being a bad 70's sit com, right?
At least he's not saying dawg that much any more. But he's still saying fly and
dope ..... The last time I heard those two words in the same sentence, I was handing
someone the "Off Skintastic"
Slang's just not the same as it used to be, and I think I can pinpoint the timing of the change.
It was in the mid 80's, when terms like radical, wicked, Bogus, awesome, and tubular
made their way across the continent like a wave. Of course TV (read the Simpson's) and movies
helped de-regionalize slang terms. So it didn't matter if you were inner city, suburban, or rural,
everyone was using the same slang terms. Racial slang differences excepted. Then, into the 90's
even the line between white and black slang began to blur.
There are terms that have endured, and terms that have actually become acceptable in everyday conversation. Cool is a good example. Although my parents have likely never used it in a conversation without a cynical tone attached, ("oh, he's just trying to be cool")
the generation after them uses it in everyday speech.
I remember some of the terms from when I was a kid, they were words like weak (but pronounced "wake") and scrawny (which meant "good" I think) or stunned. Right-on was a favorite of some of my older brother's friends.
I didn't really use slang much, because it was something cool kids used, and I wasn't all that cool.
I know, hard to believe now.
But I was on about Randy Jackson, and how he should really ramp up his cool factor by sliding in some fresh, new slanguage. Maybe he could borrow from the past and make terms like daddy-o and dy-no-mite hip again.
Realistically, Ellen's the coolest one on the panel, she da bomb.

That's what I think, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment