Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What has happened to the English language?

Ever notice that people are tossing in unnecessary phrases into their everyday speech?
I hear it at work, a bit on the radio, at some meetings I've attended, but most often on any HGTV show on their network. (some on Food Network too)
"go ahead and..." is one of the ones I notice most often, as in "I'm going to go ahead and finish sanding this table top" or "Now, I'm going to go ahead and add the sauce to this dish"
The time at work I hear it most often is when someone wants something sent to them, I ask whether they want if faxed or emailed. They tell me to go ahead and fax it.
What purpose does that phrase serve?
There is another one I've noticed creeping in, it's "sort of"
"We wanted to make the room feel sort of cozy"
or "I envisioned a sort of dining area for this space" What does that actually add to the point you're trying to make? Either you're making the space cozy, or you're not. Is it a dining area, or is it a bathroom?
One guy particularly good at tossing these phrases in to anything he says is Peter Felico from
"Home to go", or "Home to Stay", or "Flip this House" Apparently exaggerated hand gestures go along with unnecessary phrases to complete the package.
Then, there's the people (and there are a lot of them) who can't, or won't differentiate between there, their, and they're. They will simply use "there" in any circumstance.
"There going to see there lawyer the find out if there being sued"
Of course I realize this is a losing battle, texting is destroying our language at a pace unprecedented. I also realize that it's more of an evolution than a destruction, because we certainly don't speak the same way people did 200 years ago. It's just that it's happening much too fast.
That's what I think, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment